Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  April 27, 2011 3:00am-4:00am EDT

3:00 am
picking up steam. >> reporter: just like he came home from work and hasn't stopped working yet. tom foreman, cnn, richmond, virginia. >> those bikes look cool. that does it for this edition of "360." thanks for watching. > welcome to a special edition of piers morgan here in london. we'll talk about the wedding of prince william and kate middleton. i'm here at princess diana's old home. i knew the princess well and watched william and harry grow up between these walls. i will give you the inside story on the royals. also tonight, frost/morgan. >> this is fantastically exciting. >> i'll talk to the man who talked to everybody else. one of my all-time heroes, david frost. what do you think diana would make of his choice of bride and
3:01 am
his sense of duty he's now accepting, really. >> i think she would inevitably in the circumstances also, while being thrilled, be filled of the most marvelously irrelevant jokes. >> this is a special edition of "piers morgan tonight" on cnn right here in london. good evening. three days to go until the wedding of prince william and kate middleton. and joining me now is a man whose royal connections are virtually peerless. he's also a personal hero of mine. he's david frost, the host of the weekly program "frost over the world" and more importantly, a national british institution. >> god bless you. how kind. we're celebrating all those british institutions, aren't we? >> sum up what this all means for the country. why is it so important? >> well, i think it is partially because the royal family somehow
3:02 am
-- i remember a time of watergate and so on, people in the friends of mine said in the states, i wish we had the same setup you had, where you have a head of state and a prime minister so that you can get rid of the prime minister without rocking the system. whereas, of course, in america, the president is both. and so almost a flag as well. do you know what i mean? so it's very valuable to have a royal family who are going to be there, whatever happens, and then the prime ministers can come and go. >> the argument against the royal family and the monarchy and the institution is it's increasingly important in modern times to have elected bodies. but as you just said, it can actually be quite useful to have an unelected body that has continuity that can control things when they go a little bit awry politically, isn't it? >> yes, because when nixon, who actually resigned, it was like the flag was resigning in a way because the president, even the discredited president has that aura about him. here you don't have with prime ministers and the rest. of course, on the other hand,
3:03 am
there are things here in britain like the president being in power for eight years. there have been time whence people thought that was a good idea here. because we don't have that restriction. >> no, you can go on a long time. tony blair, 13 year, i think. labor party has been in power for 13 years. >> i was interviewing someone, norman fowler, a cabinet minister, and he had been in margaret thatcher's cabinet. and you know that margaret thatcher was a very dominant figure in her cabinet anyway, he came on the program after she left office and after he left office. he was saying of course, it was absolutely ridiculous margaret went on for 11 1/2 years. we all knew she should step down ten years ago. that's what she should have done. i said so you told her at the time? no, i didn't get a chance to mention it. >> you are in the quite unique position. you've interviewed prince charles twice.
3:04 am
once when he was very young, i'm going to play a clip in a moment of this, and also -- and i say uniquely, princess diana was god mother to one of your children. there can't be anybody in the world who's done both those things. >> well, it's the best of all possible worlds, unfortunately, in one instance, cut short in its prime. and that tragedy. but getting to know this family as one can, i mean, it is special in the way they handle things that's a combination of german and british, hondle. but the way they handle things is very impressive. they work so quickly, too. although she's not officially a member of the royal family as we speak, but i mean, you saw the way that catherine or kate handled their first walkabout. >> i want to show you this clip. it's fascinating. you interviewed prince charles in his late teens, in the late '60s.
3:05 am
and have a watch of this. >> how would you define duty as it affects a member of the royal family? >> a royal duty in a way is slightly more inbred. it has to be. it has to be trained in a way. and i think in thf sense it's different. you have a wider and more permanent duty. you can't relinquish it when you want to. >> interesting in the sense that they say they can't lead a normal life, even then. there's this young prince, you know, almost wanting to be normal, but knowing he can never be. >> you're absolutely right. a bit later on in that interview, i said to him, you know, when i was growing up, first of all, i wanted to be a railway engine driver because when english boys are small they all want to be that, then a footballer or whatever. but in your case, that would have been pointless. because your future was
3:06 am
preordained, predestined, irrelevant what you wanted to be. you didn't have any choice in it at all. what sort of affect did that have? he said when i was 5 or 6, i wanted to be a railway engine driver. but one morning i woke up when i was 6 years old and i thought, i'm stuck. and i thought, i'm stuck was a wonderfully modest way of describing becoming the king, you know? >> it kind of encapsulates being a member of the royal family. no matter how much they try to wrestle with it, the continuity of the royal family relies on this very small number of people accepting that duty. >> absolutely right. and it's interesting they're saying now the fact that the queen and prince phillip had a place where they could get used to their marriage before they went out to the crowds all the time. and that's what prince william is saying now they want to have
3:07 am
a year or two before they're all the while surrounded by all of this. >> it's been a very turbulent year around the world with uprisings in to the middle east, a terrible earthquake in japan and so on. there is a sense i'm getting here of everybody just wanting to have a bit of a party. a bit of light relief from the financial crises. everybody wants to have a week to say let's celebrate a good old fashioned british royal wedding. >> i think you're absolutely right. i think the figures when they come out about the number of people who came to work here in london today, and this is only tuesday, will prove you right. you know, the streets have been pretty empty today because obviously -- well, let's have a week off to celebrate. >> not in my lifetime, i'm sure probably not in yours either has there ever been an occasion where you've had two, three-day holidays in the same week. >> no, absolutely. it's appalling. halftime britain as they used to say editorials.
3:08 am
>> you obviously knew diana very well. she was the god mother to your youngest son george. what do you think she would have made made of the events coming on friday. it's her oldest boy william. the last time anyone saw a formal situation was the funeral of her mother. >> i think duty would be an important thing. i think she would be thrilled of the choice he's made, so on and so forth. and i think she would inevitably in the circumstances also, while being thrilled, be full of the most marvelousily irrelevant jokes, because she always was. she would have done that, too. >> would she also have had misgivings about william becoming king? i once had lunch with her and william when he was about 13. and you could see that even then he was wrestling with this whole concept.
3:09 am
not old enough to really understand what was coming, but knew it was coming. and i got the sense from princess diane that she was concerned about it. she realized this was a huge deal for this boy to take on his shoulders. >> i think that's absolutely right. i think it would -- when the pressures were on, also some pressures from a boring appointment to anything else, when the pressures were on, she would be thinking that a lot about william. but then she would have to be thrilled at what her son is going on to achieve and the honors that are about to befall him. >> would she have been thrilled with his choice of bride? or would she like all mothers think no woman is good enough for my boy? >> possibly, but no, i think -- i think -- i've only met kate once really, but i think she's got great style. she's beautiful.
3:10 am
she's got a great smile and she took to the royal lifestyle with william very, very immediately. i would think she'll be a star. >> one of the key differences i think between diana and charles' wedding and kate and williams is that kate is a lot older than diana. diana was only 19 when she married charles. he was in his 30s. it seems almost extraordinary that she was so young and expected to assume this mantle of princess. >> well, yes. they've known each other for eight year, haven't they? prince william and catherine and so on. prince charles had that good joke the day after they announced their engagement. he said quite right, they've been practicing for long enough. it was a very funny ad lib. >> how do you think charles has matured since the day you interviewed him as a teenager there?
3:11 am
>> he was always pretty deep, but i think he's gotten much deeper. he has gotten funnier, too. we're talking about fun here quite genuinely, because he's got a great sense of humor as well. so i think he's got deeper, at the same time, his passions have grown deeper, too. and so when his passions are not fully recognized, he gets more upset about it. president thing i'm doing on the moment involving for photodynamic therapy, a marvelous form of curing certain forms of cancer and so on. and he became a patron of that. and he's passionate about it. and he's given it added verve. >> do you think he gets an unfairly negative wrap? >> yes. i suppose you got this as a prime minister. he makes one comment about talking to the plants -- >> they all think he's crackers.
3:12 am
>> i don't know whether it was his joke that he was going to do his version of frank sinatra's "my way" called one did it one's way. >> we'll take a short break. when we come back, i've always wanted to use these words. there will be more from frost/morgan. ♪ [ male announcer ] in 2011, at&t is at work, building up our wireless network all across america. we're adding new cell sites... increasing network capacity, and investing billions of dollars to improve your wireless network experience.
3:13 am
from a single phone call to the most advanced data download, we're covering more people in more places than ever before in an effort to give you the best network possible. at&t. rethink possible.
3:14 am
quote
3:15 am
so what in a sense you're saying is that there are certain situations, the houston plan, that part of it was one of them, where the president can decide that it's in the best interest of the nation or something and do something illegal? >> well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. >> by definition? >> exactly. >> that was a remarkable clip from an interview between sir david frost and president richard nixon, which ultimately talked about the scandal that led to his resignation.
3:16 am
when i saw that clip, your heart flips as an interview. you have a president of the united states serving telling you base cle he's above the law. >> absolutely. and when he said it, i thought, this is fantastically exciting. i mustn't show it. >> your best poker face on? >> poker face, poker face. and at least try to continue the conservation for another sentence or two. which is why i said as a matter of course? and he said exactly. just a bit more confirmation of what he just said. but it was exhilarating inside that he had gone that far. because one knew that he had never said it before, but that he, he damn well believed it, you know? >> having seen the movie version of your interview, it's one of the best, i would say, movie accounts of a real story i'
3:17 am
seen. even the characterization of you and nixon. i thought it was spot on. >> i agree completely when i agreed to making the film, i also did not insist on any editorial control. i thought that should stay with the producer and director, ron howard. i thought they did a fantastic job. >> you raised a colossal amount of money on your own to finance this thing. >> we needed $2 million basically. above all, there was -- one way we could get the money was by the sponsors. we had to sell the program station by station. the three networks wouldn't take it by an outsider. people were saying, one guy said to me, you'll never get this money. half the advertisers you're approaching wouldn't have had anything to do with nixon when
3:18 am
he was president. and the other half are trying to make people forget that they did. >> and you financed it yourself. i mean, of all the things you've done in your extraordinary career, does that remain the great high? >> well, i think it was a real landmark, certainly. a real landmark. and certainly in terms of raising that money. and we were into the interviews when one ofrt backers got out, stepped out. and it was -- i was interviewing one day, and then the next day i get him on the phone and so on. it was really hairy in that way and exciting that we managed to pull it off. >> when you got the confession, the apology to the american people, which nobody expected
3:19 am
and was completely unprecedented and became this historic admission of guilt, really, how did you feel then as the interview? when he came out with those wordser? when he came out with those words? >> a sense of exhilaration. that 2 1/2 hours, pushing further, him finding being pushed further very difficult to deal with. i said at one point, if you don't say that, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. and the last 20 minutes built into that and so on. by the end of it, we were both drained actually. we didn't instantly jump for joy. i didn't jump for joy afterwards. it had been such a draining experience. but it was just at that time, whew. >> your other personal favorites, moments that you look back on and say that's amazing. >> desmond tutu, i said i always think of you as an optimist. he said i'm not an optimist, i'm a prisoner of hope. and indeed, nelson mandela, how
3:20 am
was it that you got through 28 years, wrongly incarcerated and you're not bitter? some people said he found religion. but you're not bitter. instead of basking in it he said david, i would like to be bitter, but there is no time to be bitter. there is work to be done. you know sna this was just before the election. that wonderful expressive voice, sammy davis jr. i was doinging a talk show in new york. and he was so generous with his talent. 'did about eight songs which he didn't have to do -- >> some say he was the most talented entertainer of them all. >> he's the greatest all around entertainer of all time. at the end of that first show, he said at the end of the show, he said thank you so much, he said. i said nonsense.
3:21 am
i'm the one who should be saying thank you so much for your generosity and your talent and so on. he said, you know, when i want to give a friend of mine a present, i don't like to buy them something at a shop and give them something you, i like to give them something of my own. and he took off this beautiful diamond watch and gave it to me. as a present. i was so moved by that. for 12 years it was easily my most prized possession, emotionally. and one day it was stolen from a hotel. but it was just such a moment. and it was amazing watch with diamonds around it. >> extraordinary. >> fantastically emotional gift. >> when we come back i want to talk to you about america and your views on president obama. sir david frost is back with
3:22 am
3:23 am
3:24 am
3:25 am
sir david frost is back with me now. david, you've interviewed seven american presidents, as well as eight british prime ministers. of all the presidents, who was the most impressive? >> that's a great question. i mean, in one sense, i suppose -- all of them have some impressiveness, and all of them have some after-effects of being president. i don't know quite what it is, but there's something about having had power affects your psyche or something afterwards. but i mean, in fact, there are impressive presidents like bill
3:26 am
clinton and others intellectually and others so on, and they've all got things to recommend them. >> if you could choose one to lead the country you were living in, which one would you choose? >> george h.w. bush. >> george bush sr.? >> yeah. and the reason was i just found him somebody who is wise, cautious, he knew what he was determined to do. he balanced things well. he prepared for the first gulf war very well indeed. and he was -- and he was very, very -- very affecting up at camp david when he was talking immediately after -- just after the gulf war. i telephoned him the next morning and i said, you know, i think you should really sit down and share your thoughts now with a camera because -- not necessarily mine, but i would love it if it was, but whoever, because your emotions and your feelings are not going to be the same in three years when you write a book.
3:27 am
it's going to be much more academic and so on. and he just happened to like that idea. the next week, we went up to camp david and was having this extraordinary -- i mean, it was private, almost secret session. there was george h.w. bush, barbara and then there was marlon fitzwater and brent scrocroft. they shared their notes and so on. in fact, i said he must keep the tape until it could be used. i didn't want us to lose it. and at lunch he said, i would like to just do another half an hour with you afterwards, david. the others all left and there was just -- roger ailes was directing. it was the u.s. marines for the cameras. you didn't want people who might
3:28 am
tell on the material, because some of it was very, very trenchant and so on. we did half an our afterwards. towards the end of it, talking about what was the most difficult thing for him emotionally, and he just started into talking about, you know, when you know that you're sending young boys off to die, some of them to die and so on. and he just was absolutely -- you sensed his compassion. a tear formed in his eye and so on. and it was just totally convincing that you felt that he had gone through that pain and that agony throughout that particular war. and he was a man also of -- a man of his word. in all sorts of ways. one in particular i remember was that -- when i interviewed him just before the election again,
3:29 am
just after the election. i said -- well, not after, before the election. i said i would like to do the first interview with you as president, mr. president. and he said yes, yes. and i sads after 100 days? he said no, it wouldn't be 100 days because 100 days doesn't mean anything if your predecessor was in the same party as you. you can't say i'm going to get rid of all the rubbish. he said no, later in the year. and when he came over to london, to number 10 downing street, he said after the dinner, i'm ready now. wonderful that he volunteered that. and we were doing the interview in the september in the end, and every network, everybody else was under -- pressuring him for this interview and so on. at that particular point in time, if the president of the
3:30 am
united states had said look, i'm terribly sorry, but i can't -- >> you would have understood. >> yeah, i can't keep my word, you would get the second interview. you might be disappointed but you would understand and the second interview wouldn't be too bad. but the fact that he stuck to his guns and said i gave david my word and i stuck to my word. he didn't have to do that, but he did it. not just doing it for me, but doing it because that was the way he was. >> how do you think president obama is getting on? >> well, it's a tough period at the moment, isn't it? but i think that he's got -- he's got the power and the drive to bounce back from -- he had this high at the beginning, of course. and he's got a lot of -- a lot of crises around the world, actually. and i mean, never has foreign policy really grabbed the
3:31 am
headlines as much and so on. but i think that he is -- i don't think he's done anything that can't be recouped or recalled or whatever. i would think that he still has -- i think he still has at least an equal chance of -- >> what do you think of the looming possibility of president donald trump? >> well, that's going to be interesting. or president sarah palin. >> yeah. >> what a team they would be. >> and on that bombshell, we're going to have another commercial break. i want to get some advice from you to me on what it takes to be a good interviewer. >> i don't think you need any advice. >> that's very kind. but it's true, i do.
3:32 am
3:33 am
3:34 am
3:35 am
back with my special guest, sir david frost. i'm a young pup at this interviewing -- >> whipper snapper. >> you were the first to do a transatlantic talk show back in the '70s. it would take you half the time to get home than it does now. not much progress, is it? >> it's incredible why the concord hasn't prevailed. new discovers at work live on. >> i can't think of any other form of technology that's gotten twice as slow in the last 40 years. just air travel. >> exactly. >> you must get every young interviewer in the world writing you saying give me some advice. what is the concise sir david frost guide being a particularly good television interviewer? >> where do we start? you'll know this and you'll agree with it because you're putting it into practice. but the first thing obviously is
3:36 am
homework, which i mean, sounds absurdly obvious. but some people don't do much preparation. >> my brother is an army tl colonel and has a motto called the seven p's, which i think apply equally. prior planning preparation prevent piss poor performance. >> that's excellent. >> i like that. the seven ps. i agree with that. one thing you have to point out because you've done lots of preparation doesn't shackle you from going on a preplanned course. the reverse is true. if you know the person -- >> you can go anywhere he goes. i completely agree with that. >> where he wants to go is probably what he's really most passionate about. the fact that you can go with him on that. >> and you can only go everywhere they go if you've
3:37 am
done the research. >> exactly. otherwise you think i have to get back to this subject. >> and how important -- i've learned this with television interviewing, compared to newspaper or magazine interviews is the power of silence on television can be overwhelming. >> absolutely. there's two forms of silence. and it's only instinct -- in addition to homework, instinct is really important. and that's the best example. you get to a silence and you've got to guess, sense or whatever, whether this is a, a moment when if you keep shutting up, they'll go on and volunteer something that they weren't meaning to volunteer or go further. so that's a pregnant pause. that's one to be encouraged. not for nine months, but anyway, for whatever the period is. but then the other silence is the silence where the person has simply forgotten what the
3:38 am
bloodyhell they were going to say. you've got to sense that one because that sort of eternity, three seconds is an eternity in that sort of thing. >> who would you most like to interview in the world that you haven't had a chance to interview. >> i nearly interviewed ariel sharon. a week before he died -- not died but had a coma, he transmitted a yes. that would have been a fascinating study. >> i thought you may have possibly pointed to that building. i always thought the greatest interview that's never happened would be the queen. >> and she is in such good form at the moment. and in photographs, in -- she just is looking younger and younger. you're right, that would be a
3:39 am
phenomenal interview. i don't think that will ever happen. >> well, i intend to get there before you. >> i'll hold you back. i'll hold you back in some way until i get there first. but that would be one. i wanted very much to get putin and i did. >> one person in history. >> cyrus the great. >> really? >> cyrus the great because he was the first man ever who used power to alleviate and improve the human condition and not make it worse. his first declaration of the rights of mans. cyrus the great. >> when it comes to interviewing, i think you've wielded your own power in that same ray. it's been a great honor. >> it's been a joy, an honor and a joy for me, too. >> thank you very much. coing up, the style secrets
3:40 am
of a princess to be. >> she's not what you would call a risque girl. naomi pryce: i am. i'm in the name your own price division. i find empty hotel rooms and help people save - >> - up to 60% off. i am familiar. your name? > naomi pryce. >> what other "negotiating" skills do you have? > i'm a fifth-degree black belt. >> as am i. > i'm fluent in 37 languages.
3:41 am
>> (indistinct clicking) > and i'm a master of disguise >> as am i. > as am i. >> as am i. > as am i. >> well played naomi pryce.
3:42 am
3:43 am
>> she's not what you would call a risque girl. she's quite conservative in the way she dresed and acted. >> fashionistas are watching to see ff kate middleton becomes a fashion icon like princess diana. we're here with oswald boeteng. i can't even imagine the
3:44 am
excitement when you turn on your television and you see the potential future queen of england marching out for her big photo call in one of your dresses. what was it like? >> absolutely overwhelmed. even now i'm coming to grips with it. but to be part of such an historic occasion is a real accolade for the brand. even though kate has been a loyal customer for several years and she still is, that sort of recognition is something that will live forever. i'm delighted. >> did you have a warning that she was going to wear one of your dresses? >> it's quite extraordinary. on that particular day, i was on
3:45 am
a flight to moscow and i had no idea. and i arrived in moscow, turned my blackberry own and i was absolutely bombarded with texts, messages, e-mails. i had no idea what was going on. finally it hit me what it was about. i grabbed a sunday paper and there it was. and i can't explain -- i was very proud. >> do you see an instant affect on your business? has business been crazy for that dress or similar dresses since kate middleton wore it? >> it's been absolutely extraordinary. even this dress she purchased a year or 18 months previous, we relaunched it. we had to relaunch, i think, six times. at one time it was one a minute on the internet. >> for the first few days. one a minute, literally. but more important, we are a global brand, but it's given us overnight brand recognition. and that's something you can't account for. >> oswald, let me come to you. congratulationser on the o.b., order of the british empire.
3:46 am
you met the queen and were presented with this. what was that like for you? >> it was funny. i had met the queen maybe three times before that, so i felt quite confident about meeting the queen again. but there was -- it was explained to me that once you're honored from the queen, you're overwhelmed by this amazing experience. anyway, so i'm cueing up for my award and i get my award from the queen and she presents me with the award and she says something to me. and what's quite amazing about it, i can't hear what she's saying because i'm totally overwhelmed. so now she's waiting for a response so the only thing i could think about was okay, when should i come around? she kind of smiled and looked ' at me. >> i had a great moment with the queen. i was a newspaper editor at the time. it was at windsor castle. the huge gardens, i said your majesty, do you actually like having the garden parties with thousands of people? she looked at me and said well,
3:47 am
mr. morgan, put it this way. would you like to have 9,000 complete strangers trampling on your lawn? i loved that. >> that's quite funny. >> tell me about kate middleton as a fashion icon. obviously huge pressure on her to replicate the magic of diana. how do you think she's doing so far from the style perspective? >> there's no question, she has a great sense of style. and now she's creating her own identity. i've noticed recently she's experimenting more and more with colors, clothes to suit the occasion. and at the moment, she's probably one of the most watched women in the world. so everything she's doing is being very noticed. >> what do you think is her style? what are you seeing so far? >> i think she's still developing her style. i think it's quite a challenge. she's going to have the eyes watching her continuously. one thing for sure, she seems to
3:48 am
like -- she's conscious of her body. she likes tailoring. maybe she's going to do things simpler. i think this is going to show over the next two, three, five years. we're going to see how she steps into her shoes and confidence and what she wears. >> we don't know who is doing her wedding dress. could there be a moment and you have a heart attack of excitement? >> i was doing an interview next week and they asked about the wedding dress and i said all i can tell you is one thing -- it's not us. >> do you do wedding dresses? >> not at the moment. >> there are others that are going to turn this into a massive opportunity, leading the charge, i suspect is victoria beckham who has her own very successful designer clothesline. was she wearing one of her own dresses, do you think? >> this is the interesting thing.
3:49 am
i think she might opt for a designer. it will be interesting to see which one she selects. >> two billion people watching, isn't she going to think, i'm going to wear one of my own. >> i don't know if she's known for this type of clothing. it's a big occasion. >> you dressed david beckham, haven't you? >> yes, i have. >> you have a few guests wearing oswald boeteng. it's such a big day. they're never going to have a moment where more pairs of eyes are watching them than on friday. what do you say as a designer about how to wear the dresses and suits and so on. >> i think it's about confidence in yourself. there are so many eyes watching you for any type of big event, it's important you feel comfortable in what you're wearing. it's really to find a place in what you're wearing so it enhances who you are so you feel that extra bit of confidence. it's got to be the most prominent cat walk in history since diana.
3:50 am
>> this brings me neatly to the really burning question, not what will kate middleton be wearing but what will i be wearing oswald, you know the answer because you're dressing me for the big day. what am i wearing? >> we're going to do something traditional. a morning suit. you haven't got your tie on yet, i'm sure that's on the way. we have a morning suit, black, three piece. very traditional. we're looking at ant interesting tie, maybe a blue tie which is what we selected earlier for you. >> here is cutting to the quick moment. i have to look sharper than anderson cooper. >> yes. >> i have to. >> i know. i promise you, you're going to have your best shot. we're doing it. i'm with you. after this, we won't have to hear about anderson cooper. >> never mind kate, i'm feeling
3:51 am
the heat here. >> i'm working on that. >> don't let me down. >> i won't let you down. we'll only see you from here to here, right? >> oswalt, thank you very much. david, congratulations. i appreciate you both coming in. in a moment, i'll be going back out there to meet a royal expert and royal jeweller and ?@
3:52 am
3:53 am
3:54 am
my mother's engagement ring. it's very special to me. it's my way of making sure that my mother didn't miss out on today. >> i'm back outside buckingham palace and we've got some hot views on what we think the jewelry kate middleton will be wearing on friday. we've got katie nickel and eric,
3:55 am
who are the royal jewellers. katie, what have you heard? >> the story today is that bets have been placed that -- there were stories she was going to wear flowers in her hair. >> this tiara is famous. why? >> the queen mother wore it, the queen wore it, and now kate. >> now, eric, you're the man who surely knows all the answers here. what do you know right now? >> first of all, it is pure speculation what she will be wearing on the day. we do not know. what we do know is an historic trend is that the queen either gives or loans a tiara to the
3:56 am
princess to be on her wedding day. >> how many tiaras does the queen have to loan or give? >> i would guess it's at least a dozen. >> this particular tiara has been the subject of betting. it's always a good sign in britain when they put money on it. what is the special quality of that, other than the fact that queens have wore it before? >> she's going to want to give kate something that means a lot to her. the queen had quite an interesting experience with the tiara. it snapped on the day of her wedding. >> within three or four hours, we repaired it. >> and it was you guys that made the diana engagement ring which
3:57 am
william then gave kate middleton. >> it would be a great combination, yes. >> what else are we hearing about the jewels, the dress, the flowers? there's an insatiable appetite for information. >> the flowers are new. shane conley has been chosen. he also did charles and camilla's wedding. kate wants white blooms. they're going to adorn the cake. there are going to be beautiful creations here. she's chosen absolutely everything. >> one of the most extraordinary pieces of jewelry ever could be on kate middleton's head. the queen cracked the tiara once. can we imagine the sheer horror if it falls off kate's head. >> it will be a huge privilege.
3:58 am
i can tell you in the queen's suite, that's where all the jewels are kept. all of the silverware is downstairs in the cellar. the only two people with the combination are angela kelly and the queen herself. so whatever she loan also be hand picked by the queen. so it's going to be very, very special. there's even a rumor she designed the dress herself. i'm not sure. >> if she did, and it was a hit, she would instantly become one of
3:59 am

19,011 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on